This salad is so simple to make, but so delicious. Butternut squash is one of my favorite foods, so I could basically eat this recipe every day. I usually eat this as a meal, but it also makes a great side. The quinoa and chickpeas provide a nice mix of carbs and protein, so this salad is filling but not really heavy. The dressing also has the best mix of tartness from the lemon and sweetness from the honey, so it isn’t overpowering but still adds a great flavor. This salad is also a definite crowd pleaser, so it is perfect to make when you’re having friends over for dinner or going to a potluck!
1 butternut squash
1 cup quinoa
6 cups baby spinach
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tsp honey
¼ tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and cut butternut squash into small cubes. Lightly coat in olive oil, season with salt and roast at 450⁰F for 30-40 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Toast the almonds at 350⁰F for about 5-10 minutes until they are golden and fragrant. Watch closely because they can easily burn.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Toss together the roasted squash, cooked quinoa, chickpeas, spinach, and dressing. Sprinkle the toasted almond on at the end.