I made this pizza for a couple of my friends recently and the whole time we were eating, we couldn’t stop talking about how good it was! It has the absolute perfect combination of flavors. The cashew “cheese” adds a great cheesy flavor and a layer of creaminess. Plus, it packs lots of healthy fats, protein and fiber from the nuts. The saltiness of the caramelized veggies also pairs perfectly with the sweetness from the balsamic drizzle.
My favorite crust to use for this is the Simple Mills pizza crust mix. It’s so hard to find a really good gluten free pizza crust, and this one definitely makes the cut. It’s made primarily with almond flour (my favorite magical ingredient), so it has lots of health benefits besides just being delicious.
Enjoy the recipe and try making it for your next Friday pizza night!!
1 box Simple Mills pizza crust mix (or your fave homemade crust)
1 bundle brussels sprouts, sliced into thirds
1 cup cherry tomato halves
½ cup chopped red onion
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¾ cup raw cashews
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
⅓ cup water, plus more for soaking cashews
- For the cashew cheese: Cover cashews in filtered water and soak overnight. When ready to prepare the pizza, drain the cashews. Add to a high-speed blender or processor with the ⅓ cup water, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and lemon juice. Blend until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.
- Slice and chop veggies. Sautee brussels sprouts and red onion on medium-high heat with olive oil until caramelized and golden brown. Season with salt.
- Prepare pizza crust according to package instructions. When ready to add toppings, spread the cashew “cheese” on the crust. Evenly spread the sautéed veggies and tomato halves on top of the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 400⁰
- While the pizza is cooking, make the balsamic reduction. Add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce temp to reach a simmer. Continue simmering and stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, until the vinegar has thickened to your liking.
- Once done, take the pizza out of the oven and drizzle the balsamic reduction on top. Slice and serve immediately.