This soup is so easy, literally anyone could make it. Not to mention, its vegan, gluten free, and dairy free. Everyone will be super impressed if you serve this at a dinner party or to guests around the holidays! Roasting the squash and cauliflower just adds more depth to the flavors. The chili powder in there creates a really subtle spice too.
This soup is fairly light, so I think it would make a great appetizer. It will definitely be on my menu for Christmas Eve dinner! To have it as a meal, pair it with a nice, big salad and fresh bread.
1 butternut squash
1 head cauliflower
2 large garlic cloves
4 sprigs fresh sage
½ tsp salt
½ tsp chili powder
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
Garnish: roasted and salted pepita seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400⁰
- Peel and chop the butternut squash, chop the cauliflower, slice the shallots, and put into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the garlic cloves, sage, salt, chili powder, and olive oil. Mix so that everything spreads evenly.
- Put the vegetable mixture on baking sheets lined with parchment or foil and roast for about 30 minutes, or until the squash and cauliflower are browned and tender.
- Add roasted vegetables to a high speed blender with vegetable broth, taking out any large crispy pieces of sage (it’s okay if some make it into the blender). Blend until very smooth.
- Pour into a pot and bring up to the desired temperature on the stovetop. To get some more sage flavoring, you can throw in a few more leaves at this point too, but be sure to take them out before serving.
- Serve with pepita seeds sprinkled on top.