This is one of the easiest and most delicious kale salads ever! It is super simple and perfect to make on a night you don’t really feel like cooking. It would also be a fantastic option to make for a crowd. Since kale is a tougher green, you can leave it in the dressing for a long time without it getting soggy or gross like other lettuces would. I find it’s super convenient if I want to make a salad ahead of time or just want to save leftovers for the next day.
This salad can be served as a side or as a big dinner salad with grilled chicken, some chickpeas, or a veggie burg for added protein! A note on the dressing – this one really relies just on the olive oil and balsamic, so it’s a good idea to use high quality oil and vinegar if you can. I buy mine from a small local store that sells oil and vinegar infused with other flavors, so it’s easy to mix it up. My favorite to use for this salad is a plain olive oil with black cherry balsamic vinegar. That gives it a bit of sweetness, but it still goes great with the roasted veggies!
1 bunch of kale
3-4 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 white onions
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
3 tbsp hemp hearts
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Tear kale off of the stems, rinse and spin.
- Drizzle olive oil on the kale a little bit at a time and rub it in with your hands. Sprinkle with salt and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the kale is marinating, cut the onions into long slices. Spread out on a foil lined baking sheet with the cherry tomato halves, lightly coat in olive oil and roast at 425⁰F for 30-40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder and salt to taste.
- To serve, toss the onion and tomato into the kale, drizzle some balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle the nutritional yeast mix to taste. The onion and tomato can be served either warm or cold on the salad, depending on what you prefer.