I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love any dessert when strawberries are involved. They are just delicious and take on a great flavor when they’re cooked. I think strawberries are overlooked a lot of the time when it comes to cakes. I have wished for this type of dessert so many times, but I could never find a recipe that was exactly what I wanted. So when I started experimenting, I was determined to create a yummy cake with lots of strawberry baked right into it. It turned out so wonderful! The cake is fruity and nutty and topped with a super delicious glaze. Its also crazy moist – almost to the point of a pudding cake but its really not like a pudding cake at all. That doesn’t quite make sense, but you’ll see what I’m saying when you make it. The toasted almonds on top are a great last addition too because they add a nice subtle crunch.
I hope you enjoy! As always, let me know what you think in the comments and social media!
1 cup diced strawberries
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
1 ½ cups almond flour
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp salt
½ cup agave
⅓ cup coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
¾ cup light coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup slivered almonds
⅓ cup coconut butter, melted
2 Tbsp agave
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ and line a 9×9 inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together strawberries and arrowroot. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together remaining dry cake ingredients, except slivered almonds.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, agave, coconut oil, vanilla, and coconut milk (amounts listed under cake ingredients).
- Slowly whisk the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour batter into the lined pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze simply by mixing together all of the ingredients with a fork.
- Toast the slivered almonds on a sheet pan in the oven just until they are slightly golden brown and fragrant.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, let cool for a few minutes and lift out of the pan. Pour the glaze on top of it and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
- Serve with strawberry compote or ice cream (or both! That’s what I do!).